PAAS is a boon for enterprises

Platform as a Service PAAS is a puzzling word for most of the people. Which platform we are going to use as a service ?
Before coming to PAAS , I wish to explain some of the basic form of cloud computing. Infrastructure as a Service ( IAAS ) and Software as a Service ( SAAS) are some of the very simplest form of cloud computing which were in use for some of the years.
IAAS is nothing but a commodity form of Virtualisation. To efficiently utilize physical server virtual server concept has born . As Virtual servers are independent of physical server hardward, it is easily transportable between different servers. So ISP’s can slice their high end server into small servers for the utility of the customers. Apart from virutalisation computing resources can be directly accesible for developers in IAAS .
SAAS is an application hosted in ISP Server and customers are charged for the service provided instead of perpectual license of the software. The ISP can run the same software in multitenant architecture and sell each instance to different customers. So, it is not possible to customise the application hosted in SAAS as per the organisation need.

SAAS is a simple form of entering in to cloud.  But SAAS is more suitable for SMB segment. Their 80% requirements matches with the readymade solution. Remaining 20% they bend themselves to fit in to that solution to avoid the customization cost. SaaS is with us for more than a decade.

But enterprises requirements are more complex. They can not able to fit themselves in to the SaaS solutions. Moreover to satisfy their need they need to choose a bunch of SAAS solutions. It is very difficult for them to have integrated application through SAAS solution.

Enterprises can overcome this difficulty by selecting Platform as a service ( PAAS ). In this article we will look more details about PAAS solution and their benefits.

PAAS is nothing but the middle layer between IAAS and SAAS. As IAAS sell the raw computing resources and SAAS sells the limited customisable applications, PAAS sells the software development platform which can work on the top of IAAS.
Different service providers support different programming languages. For example.
Amazon supports Java, Phython, Ruby,PHP, .net and Windows Azure supports Java,Phython,PHP,.net and Google apps supports Java, Phython, PHP language .
Through the SDK provided by ISPs, developers can develope the applications and test them on the cloud and run their application in the cloud.
This provides Enterprises the power to develop application and run them entirely on cloud or use hybrid environment  where applications runs primarily on their local datacentre and when users load increases, bursting can use cloud resources.
Apart from leading PAAS providers like Amazon web services, Windows Azure, Google Apps, there are several other providers like ActiveState Stackato, AppHarbor, AppScale, EngineYard, OpenShift, WSO2 also provide PAAS services .
PAAS is around a two year old kid in IT Infrastructure. It has a long way to go and lot of innovations are needed to shape up that.
We can compare the scenario with the way microsoft earlier attempt to develop smartphone and tablets market.
Earlier they imagined their windows OS is best and they were tried to shrink and put the same in to smartphone and tablets. But when Apple and Google thinked out of the box and created an unique new operating system for the smartphones and tablets, then they realised that customer’s requirement are different and they are repeating their stereotyped solution.
Currently Cloud ISPs are also doing the same in PAAS. For them programming means the conventional programming language. This going to repeat the same gap between developers and business.
Developers are technology peoples, they have difficulty in perceiving the requirements from  business functional peoples.
A person who can make a piano can not create a mesmerizing tune. To create a mesmerising tune a musician is needed.
So, when RFP for an application is created by the functional expert and moved to the developer,most of the times the essence and usability of the application is missing.
Currently PAAS is the requirement for Enterprises. But eventually SMEs are also need the service of PAAS in the future.
I would say PAAS will reach its purpose, when the developers create the needed modules and the functional expert can directly program his requirement with the simplicity of drag and drop modules.
Let us wait for the innovation is PAAS….
This entry was posted in Cloud Computing, PAAS. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>